Kirksville, MO Man Killed When Run Down By Tractor Trailer

The Kirksville Daily Express reported that a Kirksville, Missouri man was killed when he was run down on his bicycle by a semi truck early this morning. According to reports, the victim was in his early 40s and was riding his bicycle when he was struck by a 2005 Freightliner eighteen wheeler driven by a Springfield, Missouri man.

From the Kirksville Daily Express:

Kirksville, Mo. -

According to the Kirksville Police Department, officers responded to a call at 2:09 a.m. to an accident on the 4200 block of North Baltimore.

According to Kirksville Police, a 2005 Freightliner truck . . . was northbound on Baltimore when it collided with the bicycle, which was also in the northbound lane.

The victim, identified by Adair County Coroner Brian Noe . . . was transported to Northeast Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who knew the victim.

Avoidable trucking crashes like these need to stop. Crashes like these do not have to happen and are often preventable through the use of simple precautions, such as avoiding distractions while driving and ensuring that all equipment is in proper working condition. It is up to all of us to make sure trucking companies and truck drivers put safety first

All motorists — and especially semi truck drivers with 80,000 pound rigs — are supposed to be alert and leave enough room in front of them to be able to avoid crashes like this one. Now, I agree that the vast majority of truckers out there are safe, but even a few bad apples give all the other tractor trailer drivers a bad name.

Too many people have been killed by semi truck crashes and trucking accidents. Trucking companies need to do more to ensure that their equipment and their truck drivers are safe. Driving an 80,000 tractor trailer covering hundreds of thousands of miles is an awesome responsibility. Truckers and trucking corporations must be vigilant about safety.

Nationwide, large trucks (known as tractor trailers, semi trucks, eighteen wheelers, diesel, big rigs, or commercial trucks) make up only about 3% of the vehicles on the road. However, they account for far more traffic fatalities. For example, in Missouri, semi truck crashes make up as much as 15% of traffic deaths. In Illinois, tractor trailer crashes cause more than 10% of traffic deaths.

The National Transportation Safety Board ("NTSB") lists the following as some of the most common causes of big rig accidents:

• Poor Driver Training

• Driver Fatigue (Tiredness)

• Speeding

• Overloaded Trucks

• Oversized Trucks

• Brake Failure

• Poor Driving Conditions

• Driver Inexperience

• Failure To Yield The Right-Of-Way

• Driving Under The Influence of Alcohol Or Drugs

• Aggressive, Dangerous Or Reckless Driving

• Mechanical Failure (Or Improper Maintenance)

• Defective Parts (Such As Defective Steering Or Brakes)

Truckers and trucking companies must be mindful of each of these trucking accident causes.

Learn more about trucking accidents and become a fan of Langdon & Emison on Facebook.

1. Mike says:

What makes you think it was the truck drivers fault? It happened at 2 in the morning. Did the bicycle have any lights? I don’t know if it did or not but I’ve almost hit more then one bicycle in the dark that had no lights and was wearing dark clothes.

Thank you for reading and taking the time comment. You raise excellent questions, but unfortunately I do not have those answers. All I know is what was reported and what the trucking accident statistics say.

Bicyclists have the right to use roadways and streets and all motorists – including truck drivers – must be careful around them. I do not know what the lighting conditions were, I only know this bicyclist was struck by a tractor trailer.

Equally applicable questions are: How long had the truck driver been on duty? When did the trucker last sleep? Was the trucker tired or distracted? Why was the truck driver driving through Kirksville at 2 o’clock in the morning? Was the truck driver in a hurry to get a load delivered? Did the semi truck’s headlights were properly? Were the headlights aimed properly?

All of these — include the questions you raised — are important questions to be answered before we can know why this bicyclist was killed.

I’ve said many times that the vast majority of semi truck drivers are careful, safe professionals. However, only a few bad apples can have an enormous detrimental effect on your industry.

Thanks again for reading and taking the time to comment.

3. up arrow

Thanks for the post; I’m glad the “late” comments brought it to my attention.

Cleveland bicyclists held their Ride of Silence yesterday, to honor bicyclists killed on the roads. It is part of a national (international?) organization to memorialize them. You can learn http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php, including when rides are going on around your area.

4. Ron Kirkpatrick says:

Daily Express
    Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 09:27 AM
    Kirksville, Mo. — A Kirksville resident in his early 40s was killed early Tuesday morning when his bicycle was hit by a semi truck.

According to Kirksville Police, a 2005 Freightliner truck, operated by Richard A. White, 44, of Springfield, Mo., was northbound on Baltimore when it collided with the bicycle, which was also in the northbound lane.

The victim, identified by Adair County Coroner Brian Noe as Danny Glaspie, 45, of Kirksville, was transported to Northeast Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation.

Learn to read..the guy was drunk had been drinking all day..when u play chicken with a semi ur gonna lose..It’s people like u that give a truck drivers a bad name..The truck driver did not run him down..The NTSB also states that 97% of all crashes that involve a semi and a four wheeler.(car,pick up ,mini van,ect.) are the fault of the four wheeler..so if u r gonna quote things don’t do a half butt job..and I will forward this article and urs to the trucking company and maybe they will sue you for slander..and by the way the accident happened by my house so yes I do know what I’m talking about…what a jerk…

Ron Kirkpatrick,

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. It seems we have a disagreement. I have pretty thick skin and can take your personal attack on me. However, you cannot simply make up facts that were not reported.

You tell me to learn to read and then purport to inform me that the “the guy was drunk had been drinking all day….” [sic].

Where in the Kirksville Daily Express report did it say this? After reading your comment, I clicked back on the link (http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/news/x749219133/Kirksville-resident-killed-in-early-morning-accident) provided in the post to see if I missed anything. I didn’t.

There was no mention of any drugs or alcohol involved in the report. There were no comments to the report suggesting such activity.

What the report did say was that a Freightliner truck “was northbound on Baltimore when it collided with the bicycle….”

Did you read that? The Kirksville report said it was the truck that collided with the bicycle and not the other way around.

I also clearly reported that the accident was under investigation.

By the way, you said you lived nearby the crash site in Kirksville, Missouri and so you know what you’re talking about. Did you see it happen? What were you doing up at 2 a.m.? Why didn’t you comment on the Kirksville news article? Why didn’t you tell the paper one of the parties had been drinking?

I, obviously, wasn’t there. I relied on report as publishehd in the Kirksville Express – clearly what the Kirksville Express intends its readers to do. I then added a commentary on what could cause such a collision to happen. I focused on what the truck driver could have done because there have been far too many trucking crashes across the country. I don’t read every day about several people getting killed after being run down by bicycles, but I do read such reports about distracted or tired semi truck drivers.

In every post I make about semi truck crashes, I am careful avoid a blanket attack on all truck drivers. In fact, I am quick to acknowledge that most truck drivers are careful, diligent professionals who would never put someone else in danger. (In fact, I said it here before, just a couple comments above.)

However, surely you would agree that there are “bad apples” on the roads that put all of us in danger and give the trucking industry a bad name.

Those “bad apples” are who you should be worried about… not me. This blog never killed anyone, but bad apple truck drivers do it several times a day.

Finally, slander is the spoken communication of a false statement while either knowing it was false or with reckless disregard for the truth. Truth is an absolute defense to any allegation of slander.

Thanks again for reading and taking the time to comment.

6. Ron Kirkpatrick says:

The article read Kirksville resident killed in early morning ACCIDENT…NOT Kirksville man killed when ran down by tractor trailer..that is the part that is disturbing to me…instead of asking me what I was doing up at 2am the question needs to be asked what was a man doing riding a bicycle at 2am on a road that was posted 60mph ..His total disreguard for his safety as well as the other people that about hit him on their way to work caused his own demise..and the truck driver at 2am was doing his job!!! That’s more than I can say about ambulance chasing Lawyers that report false statements…and how come no comment on NTSB statistics ??? Cause you know that tractor trailers are safer driver than four wheelers…So if you want to stop the accidents then push for more education on how to drive around tractor trailers…and by the way I don’t care how thick your skin it’s your head I’m worried about..

Your personal attacks betray your true character. I stopped calling people names shortly after kindergarten, so I will not respond in kind.

The headline is accurate. The Kirksville Express story confirms that the bicyclist was run down by the tractor trailer. There is nothing inaccurate about the headline.

The facts as reported by the Express speak for themselves.

I have cited my source. What about you? You have all this “inside” information. Why didn’t you inform the paper? Or the police? Or comment on the original story? Why could all those other drivers who “almost” hit the bicyclist avoid him but the truck driver could not? Was he going too fast? Was he not paying attention. It seems like those are fair questions to ask, which is all I have done.

As for what the bicyclist was doing, I have said above that it is a good question and I don’t know. I simply commented on a truck driver’s duty to avoid distraction and fatigue in order to avoid this type of collision.

Thanks again for reading.

The statistics I am familiar with show that semi trucks are involved in a disproportionately high number of collisions.

8. Ron Kirkpatrick says:

The NHTSA states that every 10 seconds some one in the United States is involved in a CAR accident not (TRACTOR TRAILER)..so that tells in a 24 hour period that there are 8640 car accidents in a month there are 259,200 in a year there are 3,110,400 you need to get your facts straight.. by the way no where in the article does it say a tractor trailer ran him down…It states a Kirksville resident was killed in an accident….definition of accident an unfortunate mishap; especially one causing damage or injury
    anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause….definition of run down To hunt or pursue; chase…I don’t think the tractor trailer driver was hunting,pursueing,or chasing a man on a bicycle… and as far as me calling you names I don’t think I called you anything…I stated ambulance chasing lawers..if you put yourself in that catagory that’s your fault not mine…have a nice day

You’ve chosen to nitpick with me about phraseology. That’s your choice. The original article clearly said the man on the bicycle was hit by the tractor trailer. Let’s just agree on that.

Let’s also agree that this crash involved a semi truck and a man on a bike. That is undisputed. It makes no sense to cite statistics about passenger vehicles when we both agree no passenger motor vehicle was involved in this crash.

The appropriate statistics are those involving semi trucks. Semi trucks account for only 3% of vehicles on the road, but are involved in more than 10% of crashes.

I appreciate your passion, but the facts clearly don’t back up your position.

I can assure I’m no abulance chaser. I would never fall into such a category. However, as far as I know, I’m the only attorney involved in our converation. If your name calling wasn’t directed to me, then to whom were you referring?

Thanks again for reading. You are clearly an engaged reader.

10. Ed says:

You claim you didn’t call the author any names – what about in your first post where you said “Learn to read…the guy was drunk had been drinking all day.” It’s interesting that nowhere in the article did it mention that fact – perhaps you should learn to read since it seems you got something out of the article that wasn’t there. You finished up your first post with “what a jerk.” When I was a kid that was considered name calling.

In your second comment you used this gem: “and by the way I don’t care how thick your skin it’s your head I’m worried about..” Again, if that’s not name calling I don’t know what is…

In your third post you take off into left field with completely irrelevant information regarding NHTSA car accident statistics. If you had cited semi-truck accidents or bike accidents it would have arguably been relevant; cars, though – not so much. I think if you look at the number of four-wheelers on the road compared to semi-trucks and then compared the number of accidents for each type of vehicle, then you’d have some useful information. Mr. Emison, cited a statistic that semi-trucks account for 3% of vehicles on the road and approximately 10% of all accidents. I hope you’ll acknowledge that 10% is higher than 3% and therefore they account for a disproportionate number of accidents.

I think Mr. Emison was very fair in his post that the VAST MAJORITY (emphasis added) of truck drivers are safe and responsible and that it’s unfortunate that a few “bad apples” are the problem.

You’re not doing yourself any favors by resorting to name calling and trash talking – it makes you seem defensive and desperate as though your arguments are so weak you need to use hyperbole to make up for lack of facts. Have a nice day.

11. Ron says:

My comments must have merit or other wise Mr. Emison would not have to bring other people into it..and as far as tractor trailers being responsible for 10% of accidents where did you get your info…and as far as name calling goes Mr. Emison started that with the bad apples comment..And I live in this town and I know what his bac was…and what a jerk didn’t specifically refer to Mr.Emison…so yes learn to read>>>>And as far as tractor trailer being involved in 10% of accidents..what percent of the accidents are the fault of the tractor trailer driver ?less than 1%….. and the learn to read comment was directed to the head line Kirksville man killed in early morning accident..but being a typical lawyer you made a mountain out of a mole hill….

I was wrong about my statistics. Semi trucks do not account for 10% of highway crashes. In Missouri, they account for 15%. In Illinois, they account for slightly more than 10%. I always cite to my information sources in my blog posts. You can find the original post including these statistics at (http://kansascity.injuryboard.com/tractor-trailer-accidents/tractor-trailer-accidents-cause-too-many-deaths.aspx?googleid=273182). You can find the original source material from the Missouri Department of Transportation at (http://www.modot.mo.gov/safety/trafficaccidentstatistics.htm). You can find the original source material from the Illinois Department of Transportation at (http://www.dot.state.il.us/trafficsafety/crashreports.html).

We appear to talking about apples and oranges. I am talking a few dangerous semi truck drivers that cause a disproportionate amount of collisions and what could be done to prevent such crashes. You appear to be talking about auto accidents in general.

The crash that is the subject of the post above did not involve any passenger vehicles. In fact, according to your comments, several passenger vehicles successfully avoiding hitting the bicyclist. I have said repeatedly that I relied on the facts printed in the paper, which I am entitled to do. I offered commentary according to my experience and backed up with fact as I am entitled to do.

You raise a good question in asking what this bicyclist was doing on the highway in the middle of the night. An equally good question is why the trucker could not avoid the bicyclist when other vehicles apparently did so. We may never know the answer to either.

It is apparent you don’t want any blame on any truck driver for any crash. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but that won’t do anything to make our highways safer for the rest of the public. We need to weed out the few “bad apples” out there so that they do not sour what should be the solid reputation for careful, attentive, professional truck drivers.

I have been clear since the beginning that the majority of truckers fall into the latter category and we should all be working together to make sure those few bad drivers do not endanger the rest of us.

Surely we can both agree on that point.

Our conversation has become circular, so this will be my last comment on this subject. It seems we must simply agree to disagree.

If you would like the last word, feel free to take it. I have enjoyed our spirited discussion. It is one of the benefits of the Injury Board that I enjoy most — the free and fluid flow of ideas and commentary.

Thanks again for reading and enjoy your weekend.

13. Mike says:

Funny thing about statistics is anyone can make them say whatever they want them to say because they are only a number and don’t always tell the whole story. Just like the news media will sensationalize the facts to sell the subject or their point of view. Nobody wants to read a story about a bicycle that hits a truck but he bloody story of a big ole truck hitting a bicycle is a real eye opener. If trucks represent 3% of vehicles but are in 10 percent of crashes that can mean that other vehicles represent 97% of vehicles and how many of those caused the truck crashes?

14. Ron says:

Truck vs. semi crash leaves one dead…MARION COUNTY, MISSOURI — A northeast Missouri man is dead after a truck versus semi crash in Marion County.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol says the wreck happened late Friday afternoon at the intersection of Highway 36 and Route K.

Darrell Large, 76, of Hunnewell, Mo., was attempting to cross Highway 36 when he pulled in the path of a semi driven by 55-year-old Jeffrey Ervin of Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Large was thrown from his truck in the crash and was pronounced dead at the scene by Marion County Coroner Peggy Porter.

This is one I will help you post cause I know it will help your cause…