08212014Headline:

How To Get Your Reebok Toning Shoe (EasyTone and RunTone) Refund

I wrote yesterday about Reebok’s $25 million settlement with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) over deceptive marketing of Reebok’s toning shoes, the EasyTone and RunTone.

Since then, I have received numerous questions from readers about how to take part in the settlement.

Purchasers of Reebok toning shoes may request a refund through the settlement using this Refund Request Form.

In order to participate, you must have purchased the toning shoes on or after December 5, 2008. The refund applies to the following Reebok toning shoes and apparel:

• EasyTone

• EasyTone Flip

• RunTone

• TrainTone

• JumpTone

• SimplyTone

• SlimTone

• EasyTone Capri

• EasyTone Pants

• EasyTone Shorts

• EasyTone Long Bra Top

• EasyTone Sleeveless Shirt

• EasyTone Short Sleeve Top

According to the settlement web site, payments to eligible purchasers will vary depending upon the product purchased and the number and amounts claimed by all eligible consumers. If you submit a refund request in excess of $200, you may be asked to provide proof of purchase to validate your request.

The FTC is requiring the refunds because Reebok’s ads made unsupported claims that the rocker-bottom shoes were "proven" to tone buttocks 28% more than other shoes and build calf muscles by 11% more. According to the FTC, it "spent a lot of time examining the evidence [Reebok] put forward and found it wanting."

Right now, Reebok is the only toning shoe manufacturer providing refunds, but Skechers has also been contacted by the FTC over claims about the exercise benefits of Skechers Shape-Ups toning shoes.

As I’ve discussed many times, not only will these shoes not improve your fitness, they actually cause injury.

Popular toning shoes include MBT and Skechers Shape-Ups.

Toning shoes (including shoes manufactured by MBT and the popular Skechers Shape-Up shoes) may actually cause more harm than good. Consumer Health Reports found a number of complaints for toner shoes far greater than any other single type of product. In one report, an individual suffered a broken bone only 45 minutes after wearing the shoes.

These injuries do not surprise health care professionals. Dr. Orly Avitur, the lead doctor working with Consumer Health Reports, concluded that anyone with balance issues, back pain, neuropathy, or unstable ankles should not wear toning shoes.

The Reebok toning shoe settlement covers only claims for deceptive marketing. Injury claims and lawsuits for toning shoe injuries must still be resolved on an individual basis.

The toning shoe danger is not limited to individuals with balance issues. Even young people in good shape have reported problems with toner shoes. A test by the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine and American Council on Exercise showed prolonged use can lead to material alteration of individual walking gait mechanics. This is particular concerning considered the industry new marketing campaign targeting preteens.

The bottom line is – when you are told you can get more results with less efforts, one should be suspect. You may end up with more than tighter buns and thighs, you might end up with serious injuries.

[More on Toner Shoe Injuries]

(c) Copyright 2011 Brett A. Emison

1. S.K. Nelson says:

What else do i do for this much deserved refund!

2. Brittney L says:

I am SO glad the FTC is finally doing something about this. I have had these shoes for about a year now and they really mess with my balance. Sometimes I even have a hard time with running because the bottom of the shoe is so off-balance.

Well deserved refund for the consumers :)

3. Ashley says:

What if I don’t have my receipt? Can I still request a refund?

Ashley – from the language on the form, it does not appear you need a receipt unless you are requesting a refund in excess of $200.

5. Sheila Thein says:

I have purchased 4 pairs of shoes and workout wear.

6. breanna says:

dose it include canada

7. Donna S. Brown says:

I have no idea what an “URL” is. I am a 59 year old grandmother. I bought a size 91/2 pearlized white with lime green trim. I bought the shoes online, probably shoemall, or zappos, or something simmilar. I used my Visa to pay and no longer have the receipt. I have to say, the shoes do mess with your balance!

8. Mary says:

I filled out a refund submit for a pair of runtone’s I purchased less than 6 months ago. I have not received anything yet. Will they just send me a refund in the mail, and its that easy?

9. Sherry says:

Any idea on the time frame for consumers to actually recieve refunds? I bought both the Run Tones, for jogging, and the easytones for walking. Since they’re not actually doing me any good, would like to purchase a new pair of shoes!

10. Lucia Quintalino says:

dear all,
    I bought the pair of EasyTone in Dicks at Woodbridge mall. These trainers lasted about 3-4 months. The front tore and shorlty after that at the back by the heal inside this really hard piece of plastic was sticking out and there was nothing I could’ve done but throw them away.
    there were not comfortable to wear at all :( costing 99 USD i was not happy at all.

anything you need please let me know – my phone # 732-533-3000

have a great weekend

11. PAMELA says:

What do I need to do if I feel that the shoes caused damage to my knees and hips? Wore easy tones for a year and could`nt figure out why my knees and hips hurt all the time, even at night. Then I read online about the injuries that Reebok easy tone shoes could cause. Thanks, Pam

12. up arrow

I agree with you that people should be suspect of claims that sounds too good to be true. If the shoes do cause hip injuries then the manufacturer may be liable for medical care.

13. wende says:

How can I get a refund for my easytones?

14. LBlack says:

I have two pair of the toner shoes and I didnt know that Reebok had a lawsuit.I been going to the doctor cause my feet been hurting me. I told the docter what shoes I was wear. He did a x-ray on my feet and gave medication. So now I will stop wearing the shoes to see if things change.

15. LBlack says:

16. LBlack says:

17. LBlack says:

18. Florencr Walker says:

W was really excited to get my shapeups .Bcause i was walking rveryday ,Iwalked i them about a week then heato give uo they like to killed me i could not walk in my regular shues they tottal messed my feef uoeven my doctor told me to stop IM writing to let u know i want my 14900back ineed u to write me a letter tell me when my money will be at my house Florence Walker 621Frank Martin RD. Shelbyville Tennessee 37160

19. Florencr Walker says:

20. Ashley freeman says:

How long will it take to get the refund? Because I kinda need new shoes now now, lol! We filled out the forms about a week or two ago. When are they sending them out? Any ideas?

21. Nancy Thompson says:

I bought a pair of EasyTones in April, 2011 not for any of their questionable advertising claims but because I have a hard time finding shoes that fit & feel good. I am VERY hard on shoes so I always have at least 2 pairs so I can rotate them (cuts down the athletes feet risk). I only wore the reeboks maybe 10 times (every other day); I had extreme problems 1st with my knees, `then my hips & finally my back before I decided `that the shoes were EVIL. I had read all the literature that came with the shoes but there were no disclaimers of any kind so I did not save any of the packaging & the receipt was not saved. I took the shoes back to Shoe Carnival, told the sales clerk of the problems I was having & asked to exchange the shoes for something less lethal. I was told there was nothing he could do. I went home & started researching & discovered that Reebok was in trouble. I have been waiting all these months for an FTC settlement. I have submitted my claim online & will not feel badly at all when I receive my refund. I had an aunt who broke her hip but it was really that bone cancer had destroyed her pelvic bone; I was in such pain (only wore the damn shoes 10 times!) that I walked side to side & hunched over, convinced that bone cancer was congenital. If anyone is having problems walking with these shoes, STOP wearing them IMMEDIATELY! It took 2 months of stretching & exercises for me to return to normal.These shoes need to have medical disclaimers but will never happen because Reebok would be admitting culpability.